🇵🇹 Faro to Lisbon
08 Sep - 11 Sep 2022
Put down your laptop and pick up a bike this September
Join 50 TechBikers from 8-11th September 2022 in our quest to help kids all around the world get an education by raising €50k for Room to Read!
Join us for a 3-day journey from Algarve to Lisbon, through about 300km of beautiful Portuguese roads. On the way, we will enjoy a couple of boat rides across the Sado and Tejo rivers.
REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
The ride will be fully-supported and excellently catered by L’Échappée Portugal, an organization created by ex-pro cyclist Fiona Hunter Johnston. Here’s what’s included:
- Airport transfers from Faro airport to faro hotel on the 8th sept
- Airport transfers from Lisbon to Lisbon airport on the 11th
- Accommodations in Faro 8th sept, Castro Verde 9th sept and Setúbal 10th sept (3 nights included).
- Accommodation 3 star or above.
- Carbon road bike hire (please note helmets are not included)
- 2 support vehicles with mechanical support
- 3 guides (ie 3 separate ability groups)
- Photos and Drone footage
- Civil Liability insurance
- Breakfast, lunch, water and ride snacks (dinners not included)
- GPX files in advance
A full presentation document for the ride is available here.
Note: flights into Faro and out of Lisbon aren’t included.
To join this trip, you must raise at least €400 for Room to Read, and pay a €400 participation fee (half the actual cost of the trip).
TechBikers’ selected charity is Room to Read. World change starts with educated children. In fact, if every child received an education, 171 million people would be lifted out of poverty. Room to Read is one of the foremost charities making this happen.
The kind sponsors and supporters for this ride:
Reedsy — a community of 1,000,000 authors and freelance publishing professionals, turning ideas into beautiful books.
Point Nine — a seed-stage venture capital firm focused on B2B SaaS and B2B marketplaces.
Eurazeo Venture — the VC arm of a leading global investment group, with a diversified portfolio of €25.6 billion in assets under management.
Mulebar — an innovative and sustainable sports nutrition company that makes energy gels and bars without preservatives, colorings or additives.
Do I have to be an expert cyclist?
Absolutely not. We want the group of riders to be as diverse as possible, and saying you’re a Lycra Goddess/God won’t make it any likelier that you’ll get accepted. What we care about is the TechBikers spirit, and that you’re excited about raising for Room to Read and connecting with likeminded folk.
How many cyclists can attend?
Up to 50 cyclists can join this ride. As part of our selection process, we’ll do our best to create the most diverse group. Original fundraising ideas will also be appreciated.
I don’t think I can raise €400, do I really have to?
Yes, you do. This is non-negotiable. It’s the whole reason for the ride, after all! But don’t worry, we have plenty of tips to help you raise this amount… from bake sales, to email templates and social media promotion. In the words of Bob the Builder(-ish): YES YOU CAN!
The ride contribution is expensive, can I just not pay it?
It’s a fully catered, fully organised weekend. Pretty much the only thing we don’t do for you is pedal. We really try to make it as affordable as possible, but it does cost money to get 30 to 50 people on the road safely, and ultimately, we want Room to Read to get as much money as possible. See it as an investment into your network, a somewhat expensive holiday (as if!), or the equivalent of two heavy weekends in London 😏
Can I pay more than €400 to contribute to the ride?
Yes, you absolute gold star. The full cost per rider is about €800, so the closer you get to this amount, the more of the leftover money we can add to the pot for Room to Read. We love you. No seriously, we do. In a non-creepy way.
What if I can’t make it last minute?
Organizing the ride costs money, and the rider contribution only covers part of the full cost of €800. If you cancel after you’ve signed up, we won’t be able to refund your contribution and we will require you to raise the €400 minimum donation for Room to Read regardless. If you find a replacement rider, that’s fine too, but this is your responsibility.
Terms & Conditions
- For this challenge TechBikers require a minimum registration fee of €400, and a maximum optional fee of €800. This will cover full costs, meaning more corporate sponsor money can go to Room to Read. Should you have to withdraw, there will be no refund payable to you as your sponsorship was raised for charitable purposes. You can nominate a replacement rider.
- Itineraries, schedules and accommodation may change and other alterations may occur which are beyond the control of TechBikers or L’Échappée Portugal, the ground handlers for the event.
- TechBikers and our partners are unable to accept liability for any loss or damage; however arising (except for death or personal injury resulting from their own negligence), or for cancellation of the event for any reasons outside their control. In particular (but without limitation) TechBikers and our partners accept no responsibility for the loss of luggage carried for you in support vehicles, which should be adequately covered by your insurance.
- All of your sponsorship monies raised will go to Room to Read. The costs of your transport, accommodation, food, transfers, guides and back-up team will be paid to our ride organiser from corporate sponsorship and your registration fee.
- You must not suffer from alcohol or drug dependency. You must not have any prior criminal convictions. You must notify us if you are not in compliance with these conditions.
- You will be responsible for your own personal cycling equipment, for example your helmet, cycling kit, etc. It is a requirement that you must wear a helmet at all times whilst cycling on this challenge.
- You must have adequate travel documents, visas, and insurance that will cover you for the specific activities you will be undertaking.